(203) 736-5420 info2@teaminc.org

Energy Assistance

Energy assistance is a program that helps people having difficulty paying the cost of heating their homes. Through an intake and assessment process, Energy Assistance staff determine how TEAM and its services can best help lower energy costs. The goal of this program is to keep households warm and safe during the winter months.

Applications are currently being accepted for the 2021-2022 heating season

November 1st, 2021

First day for fuel deliveries that can be paid by the program.

Winter/Hardship protection begins for income-eligible electric and gas-heated customers

May 1st, 2022 Winter/Hardship protection ends for electric or gas-heated customers
May 2nd, 2022 Last day to request a fuel delivery/Deadline for fuel authorizations or deliveries.
May 31st, 2022 The last day that a household can apply to establish its eligibility for benefits.
June 15th, 2022 Last day to submit deliverable fuel bills for deliveries made between Nov 1, 2021-May 2, 2022

Fuel delivery authorizations are expected to begin November 1st, 2021

Categorical eligibility has been expanded for households:

Households who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Family
Assistance (TFA); State Supplement for the Aged, Blind, or Disabled; or Refugee Cash
Assistance are eligible for Energy Assistance
Households who receive SNAP (food stamp) assistance are eligible for Energy Assistance

The Liquid Assets Test has been suspended for the remainder of the CEAP program year.

Risk Assessments for Safety Net Benefits are suspended for the remainder of the CEAP program year


      Eligibility Requirements:

    • Eligibility is based on household size and gross annual income, or categorical eligibility (as stated
    • Families or individuals with a gross annual income at or below 60% of the State Median Income (SMI)

          Income Guidelines for 2021-2022 Energy Season

         Household size:          Gross Annual Income:

         1 person                               $39,027

         2 people                               $51,035

         3 people                               $63,044

         4 people                               $75,052

         5 people                               $87,060

         6 people                               $99,069

         7 people                               $101,320

         8 people                               $103,572

    Application Process

    There are several ways to request an application.

    We can take your application by phone.

    Call us at 203-736-5420, press 3 for Energy (and then press 1 to apply)


    Email us at energy@teaminc.org to request a phone application.

    • After taking your application by phone, we will mail you the application to sign along with a letter explaining what documentation you need to provide.


    Request a blank application. Call or email us with your name, phone number, mailing address, or email address, and we will send you a blank application to fill out.


    To fill out the application online, press the green button below. That will redirect you to the ct.gov/DSS website. Please Note: you must disable your pop-up blocker to download the application. After filling it in, you can print it out to mail, fax, or drop it off. You can also download it and send it by email to energy@teaminc.org.

    In-person appointments are available upon request (Note: You must wear a mask and follow Covid-19 protocols).

    To return the application and supporting documentation, you can:

    • Send by mail to:

    TEAM Energy

    30 Elizabeth St.

    Derby, CT  06418

    • Drop it in our NEW DROP BOX (located in the lobby at 30 Elizabeth St., Derby, CT)
    • Email it to us at energy@teaminc.org
    • FAX it to us at 203-736-5435


    To apply for assistance, applicants must provide the following documentation:

    Please provide all that applies for all household members:

    • Social security/numbers and Dates of Birth (all household members)
    • Documentation of four weeks of income within three months prior to application date for all household members aged 18 and over (see above for income types)
    • Gas bill (if you heat with gas) OR Oil/propane/kerosene vendor name (if you heat with a deliverable fuel)
      • Electric bill (all households must provide electric bill)
      • DSS State Cash Assistance award letter and SNAP/Food Stamp award notice
      • Rent receipt or Section 8 letter and landlord contact info if you rent or mortgage statement if you own

      *Households who can document that they receive SNAP (food stamps), State cash assistance (TFA, State
      Supplemental Income, or Refugee cash assistance), or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may be automatically
      eligible for Energy Assistance benefits.*


      Weatherization Assistance

      The weatherization Assistance Program provides comprehensive weatherproofing to the households of eligible clients to make their homes more cost effective, and reduce their heating costs. CEAP clients are eligible for the Weatherization Program. This program is administered through New Opportunities, Inc..

      For more information or to request an application, call the New Opportunity Inc. (NOI) Weatherization Department at  (203) 575-4328 or email WX@NewOppInc.org. Please include your name, address, and phone to ensure accurate information is sent to you.

      Operation Fuel

      Operation Fuel is a private, non-profit statewide program designed to provide one-time emergency energy assistance to those households who are in crisis and whose income is at or below 75% of the State Median Income (SMI).

      Income Documentation


      Please bring documentation of gross income from all sources for most recent four weeks (6 or 12 months if self-employed)


      • Pay stubs from earnings (last 4 if paid weekly or 2 if paid bi-weekly)
      • Social Security, SSDI and/or SSI (most recent award letter or direct deposit on bank statement)
      • Pension current stub, statement or letter from company stating gross monthly amount. Note: We cannot use bank statement deposit to verify pension income.
      • Unemployment (payment history printout from Dept. of Labor dated within 24 hours prior to appointment)
      • website: ctdol.state.ct.us follow link for unemployment information
      • Child support/Alimony (court document, direct deposit to bank statement or signed letter from absent parent stating amount and frequency of payments)
      • Rental income from your rental units/properties (lease, rent receipt)
      • Self-employment Income (notarized worksheet showing 6 or 12 months income and expenses)
      • Worksheet must be completed using income and expenses from last 6 or 12 complete months and must be submitted with a copy of last filed tax return.
      • Contributions by friends/relatives (signed and dated letter from friend/relative w/ their address & contact information, stating amount and frequency of financial assistance)
      • DSS State Cash Assistance award letter and SNAP/Food Stamp award notice, if you have it
      • Worker’s compensation (check stubs or attorney’s letter/statement)


      *You may be required to provide additional documentation not listed above.

      Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)

      CEAP is designed to provide low-income households with assistance towards their winter heating bills. Households in the towns of Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Derby, Milford, Orange, Oxford, Seymour, Shelton, and Woodbridge may apply with TEAM. Winter heating assistance pays for a household’s primary heating source such as oil, natural gas, electricity, propane, kerosene, coal, wood, and wood pellets on behalf of the eligible household. The amount of heat assistance may not be sufficient to cover a household’s entire winter heating cost. For households whose heat is included in their rent, one-time financial assistance may be available. Eligibility is determined by income – at or below 60% of State Median Income (SMI) – household size, and liquid assets. Homeowners & renters may apply.

      Household eligible for the winter heating program may also be eligible to receive weatherization assistance. This can help conserve energy and lower heating bills.

      Contact Us To Apply:

      Applications for energy assistance programs are accepted from early August and are taken by appointment. Due to COVID-19 all applicants will be processed by phone or by mail. An outreach worker is available for the homebound elderly and/or physically disabled. Contact us by email Energy@teaminc.org or call 203-736-5420 and press 3 for Energy Assistance