The Elderly Nutrition Program services all homebound persons 60 years and older who reside in Ansonia, Derby, Shelton, Seymour and Oxford.
Nutritional balanced hot lunches are delivered Monday through Friday. Frozen meals are available and delivered once a week. Meals on Wheels is available on a referral basis by hospitals, family, friends, and clients themselves.
The Meals on Wheels program is intended to offer support to seniors who are unable to provide good nutrition for themselves. Meals are typically delivered for short periods of time during an illness or while recuperating after a hospital stay. Occasionally our services are used for longer periods. Periodic calls and home visits will be made to determine continued eligibility or need.
Once the person is able to get out of the house, we encourage them to participate in a meal program at one of our Senior Community Cafes at the Doyle Senior Center in Ansonia, the Derby Senior Center, or the Callahan House in Seymour. Meals are also offered twice monthly at the Oxford Senior Center.
Eligibility Requirements :
- Applicants must be 60 years of age or older, or the spouse of an elderly participant
- Applicants must be homebound and unable to eat at a congregate meal site
- Applicants are assessed as being “homebound” by the Agency on Aging of South Central Connecticut
- A doctor or other qualified health professional (VNA, CT Homecare Case Manager) must provide a diet order, along with other pertinent medical history
- Live in Ansonia, Derby, Shelton, Seymour, or Oxford
We suggest a contribution of $3.00 per meal. Donations are used to supplement and expand nutrition services. If a person is unable to make a contribution, service will not be denied.
Call (203) 538-5886 ext. 4225 to arrange for meal service.